Wave hat

Wave hat
An original design of mine in the works

Search This Blog

Monday, November 3, 2008

Crazy busy around here ....

Finishing up the newborn sweater in blue (using the DMC size 3 cotton I picked up in Italy) which required me to make adjustments in order to have it come out the correct size... I think I finally have this correct so that I can finish the body section & then go for the sleeve and then trimming it won't be too bad. Knowing I have to finish this one in order to move on to several others I took on yet another project. As some of you may recall I volunteer my time teaching crochet at Alpha Pregnancy Care Center to some expectant & new moms. One came to me with her sons um mm well since I don't really know how to spell their word for it I will end up calling it his blanket. It has been loved on and one small section had become separated completely from the rest and that left a few rows unraveling. No miracle worker here but I do think I can get the unraveled row or so reworked and join the section that came off, then go to the area where it is unraveling now & get it more secure.

This leads me to my soap box.... Please when you are working on gifts and your yarn has a knot in it from the factory don't be lazy ... cut it out & make your work join as you would in a color change ... leaving enough to weave into the work so the tail winds up woven back into itself if possible. If you really can't bring yourself to not work with "knots" then knot the yarn but leave a long enough tail on both ends to weave into the work hiding the knot in your work. Most instructions that even bother to deal with this issue state to never work with knots in your crocheting because knots have a way of becoming undone causing unraveling (usually while in the wash!) and a loss of all your hard work. The best suggestion I've seen is that you should always work your yarn to make the switch in a yarn color or a new skein of the same color happen at the end or beginning of a row. Being practical as I try never to waste yarn most of mine are somewhere in the body of the work I'm on... only a couple of times did I ever adhere to that suggestion. One other suggestion comes to mind for when you are working large afghans ... you just randomly lay a strand of yarn over the work & work your row as normal this hides repair yarn into the work ... I did this on my daughters college afghan but to be honest with you I think it would take a miracle to find that repair yarn if it was ever needed!

Okay thought I had a couple of photo's ready to share with you & discovered they haven't been saved in the correct folder so not today but soon!
Wishing you all frog free days :)

No comments:

Post a Comment