Wave hat

Wave hat
An original design of mine in the works

Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Hook's been busy busy busy...

I've been sort of dragging my hook in the process of making all these baby gifts I need /actually want to make. I wasn't "thrilled" with the patterns I had before me ... mind you I only looked at about 50 to 75 so I could have kept looking until I found the "perfect" thing.
I have really enjoyed the Hexagon Granny baby jacket (I posted about it earlier it's found on Bev's site ~ Bev's Country Cottage) ... anyway I wanted something that easy but different.
I looked through an old book of mine titled The Pattern Library Crochet published in 1981 by Ballantine. And in there I came across a Flower Hexagon. So my brain working the way it does said hexagon granny folds just perfectly for a baby sweater why not use this motif and do the same thing???
Made the first motif (actually tried enlarging it on the first go round but quickly saw I was making errors in the process so had to frog back to the row before my attempt to "make it bigger" ... finished the motif as the pattern directed & really liked the end results. Made a second one & could not see how it would fold into the proper shape. You see you make petal shapes in this hexagon and it folds a bit differently then the granny hexagon. When I decided to simply chose two sides to make the back then did the best I could to 'fold' the rest into a shape that could be a baby sweater. I love the end results but will admit it has a unique shape to it which is probably what I love in the first place.
I tried it on my two 'baby dolls' one that is supposed to be the size of a real newborn and one that is supposed to be the size of a baby 3 to 6 months old. It looked better on the larger doll. But could be put on the newborn baby too. So I will give that to Heather for her baby shower (they are expecting a girl) then I was really excited to get started on a baby afghan for her as well but I still didn't care for the things I had started nothing seemed to spark any interest for me. Until I was playing online yesterday. I can't tell you what directed me there but this is where I ended up : http://www.crochettoday.com/freeprojects.aspx

There are free patterns listed there and I selected the Super Simple Throw (May '08) and sat to work the swatch ... loved it and so after finishing the baby sweater I started this super simple throw (not as large as the pattern calls for of course!) Using a "K" hook and baby yarn and so far loving it ... I'm so happy to be productive on this project. I might actually attend the shower coming up this weekend not sure. Depends on a few factors. (like if I can get this baby afghan finished in time ;-)

In the mean time I have many things going on and I'm preparing to drive to NC with my mom to visit my daughter & son in love. And when we return my daughter will come home for a brief visit. And attend her cousin's baby shower. So I'm busy busy busy these days with looking for just the right pattern to give me the results I want for these baby gifts.
Wishing you all warmth, peace, joy & happiness and that the frog will abstain from visiting your projects today :)

No comments:

Post a Comment