Wave hat

Wave hat
An original design of mine in the works

Search This Blog

Saturday, December 27, 2008

Less than a week to a Brand New Year

Are you frantically wrapping up this year of 2008? Are you looking ahead to all the possibilities of 2009? Can you believe how fast the year flew by? Seems to me that as a child I always thought the year dragged by until finally Christmas arrived in all of it's glory. As a young adult I noticed how it seemed to speed up a bit but now (and for a while the truth be told) I believe you can blink a couple of times & have the entire year fly by... why you merely get started and before you know it spring time rolls around with all the "spring cleaning" (which I might actually do this year! LOL) As you take the few minutes to admire the flowers just beginning to bloom you'll notice that Summer arrived unfortunately Summer doesn't seem to stay as long as we want it to and it isn't always as warm as it has been in the past. Makes using the swimming pool a bit hit or miss depending on the actual warmth of the day. Just as you decide summer really did show up & might stay a while Autumn rolls on in with a bit of cooler air making using the swimming pool more of an adventure than it should be and the cooler air has you already thinking of all the landscape work that needs to be done in order to prepare the yard for winter. Don't want to be caught unprepared! Next thing you know Winter shows up with force. Colder temperatures makes clothing choices for you and you begin to dream of Christmas with all it's wonderful traditions.

For me Christmas became way too commericalized years ago. I stopped decorating. I stopped caring about all the hoopla that was associated with Christmas and began thinking only in terms of this is more about the Birth of the Savior of the World and less about what someone gives me or I give someone else. Don't get me wrong I still see the beauty of giving a gift to someone and sharing the love of God with others in this manner but I don't think every toy that makes the top ten list needs to be under the tree for the kids nor does every new gadget that comes out just in time for Christmas need to be under the tree for the teens/ or even the adults.

With our youngest son's birthday January 1st I always look forward to the beginning of the new year. His only request was that we don't do anything fancy this year ~ he'd rather rest if possible. He's always busy with something and he'd like a really low key kind of day for his birthday. And I agree with him he should have the kind of day he really wants.

Well I just rec'd a text message requesting I do something so that requires me to actually get my day underway. I'll post some pictures Monday and tell you about my visit to Murano Glass in Venice then.
Meanwhile I hope you enjoy your post Christmas bargain shopping & all your projects should be frog free so you can get more accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment