Wave hat

Wave hat
An original design of mine in the works

Search This Blog

Monday, December 29, 2008

Murano Glass & other thoughts

So as this year quickly comes to a close I am enjoying memories of my trip to Italy this past Sept. I'm getting closer to finishing Adriana's afghan. I've got a pattern in mind that I wanted to share with everyone but just because Caron has a contest going I thought about expanding the scarf pattern into a baby afghan. Once I have the stitch count settled I think I'll work it up for January's charity challenge. (I belong to an online crochet group and we have charity challenges from Jan. through Oct. & have expanded to an unofficial Nov. cc.)
Anyway as I deal with my crocheting and my reading (currently into JoAnna Carl's Chocoholic mysteries) and attempting to stay on top of things has been fun.


We had arrived in Venice and had our time to ourselves to settle in & get ready for dinner after a wonderful dinner we had a good night before our next day ... we were told what time to meet following breakfast and we all gathered together in time to get on a boat (you either travel by water taxi's or you walk over bridges lots of stairs & lots of walking around Venice) but to get to Murano Isle you must take a boat. When we arrived our guide met us and brought us through to explain how the furnace's were dealt with before the availability of gas furnaces. How the wood was brought and stored and handled. Then he explained that the whole family was involved. When he was a child of 10 yrs his job was to ck on the furnace & make sure it was burning hot enough. We saw some piles of rejects (yes they too have items that they tried and either did not have the design work or something else caused them to reject it) so an area where there was lots of broken glass. While he was explaining things to us we were standing outside in a courtyard and there were beautiful mosaics hanging on the outside walls. This first picture was hanging inside just as we left the building to enter the courtyard. The next 4 pictures were taken outside and the last picture you see our guide.



So after this we had a great time inside another area where one of the glass masters put on a demonstration for us. More pictures to follow later this week.

Wishing you all frog free projects :)





No comments:

Post a Comment