Wave hat

Wave hat
An original design of mine in the works

Search This Blog

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Sewing prayers!!!!

I'm not sure about my sundress ... I have even written to another blogger here at blogspot requesting her advice if she is so inclined to respond to me I would be forever grateful especially if it means I can make my second dress better than the first.

I purchased the ready to make sundress fabric on sale with the intention of simply sewing up the back seam & adding straps. But look who's talking about doing this "simple" sew job? Me LOL ... I know I have done a lot of last minute sew jobs in a pinch that look okay (if you're blind that is) but if it is for me I don't mind since I am not a seamstress & it saved me money in the long run.

Back to my dress ... I had asked at the store how one determined how much to purchase since it was sold by the inch & not by the yard... also keeping in mind I'm a heavy set pear with the emphasis on heavy on bottom while lacking on top... this fabric is already smocked with the elastic threads so there is "give" across the bust area if cut too generously it looks horrible ... if not cut generously enough one could guess that the bottom portion of said dress won't fit around the amply sized bottom it needs to cover. So I actually purchased this with a lot more generousity then necessary.

I found this in two prints the first one I actually like the second one I'm not too fond of but wanted/needed a second dress in this style so went ahead & purchased both. Decided I really can't wait until just days before leaving the country to deal with sewing them so pulled out the machine & grabbed the "eh" fabric and got to work. (mind you I did wash & dry both fabrics a couple of weeks ago ~ always wash & dry fabrics before making clothes out of them is what I was told so that is what I did) ... now here was the fun part ... I measured my bust and thought if I cut the fabric with just a little bit of generousity then I might get away with things. Sewed up the seam and discovered that the top was more generous then even I thought, sewed it some more and discovered I made it worse ... so I can see where I have to fix it but certainly don't wish to experience this with the second fabric. It would be so much better if I can cut it according to how it needs to be cut so that I can simply sew up the seam.

My grandmother (a master seamstress or what ever would be considered the highest compliment in the world of sewing) could look at any style of clothing anywhere & then take the features of any items she wanted to and make her own patterns and have the end result look like pure perfection which it was since it was a custom made garment ~ made just for me! Where is that talent when I need it? ... oh... you must know how to sew? You should work with fabrics & threads & needles? So not me. Talent doesn't just show up because I want it??? I have not taken any classes on sewing in over 27 yrs and the one I took way back when barely got me started on sewing clothes ... my area of fearless fun comes in the world of crochet. In sewing if you mess up you could be out a lot of $$ depending on the cost of the fabric & whatever else it may need/ call for ... in crochet if you mess up usually you just frog it & rework it & you're good to go.

I really would like to have both dresses for this trip to Italy so I'll go attempt to fix my blunder. But I'm not working on the second one just yet. Thankfully there is still some time to get that one done correctly the first time around.

Back to my crocheting once I finish the dress. Dear God HELP!!!! I need to make straps for this too!

No comments:

Post a Comment